The amount of waste we generate is not sustainable and is contributing to climate change.
Living a zero waste lifestyle is not just about limiting yourself to a mason jar of trash in a year. It’s about being mindful about what you consume, taking steps to avoid unnecessary waste and reducing the amount of trash you produce.
Ultimately, zero waste is a goal that we work towards. It is not a destination, but a journey towards waste minimisation.
10 easy ways to get started on your zero waste journey
Need some ideas on how minimise waste in your life? Here are some ideas to get you started!
- Swap out plastic bags for reusable bags
- Don’t leave the house without a full reusable water bottle.
- Instead of ordering coffee to go, order coffee ‘to stay’
- Ask for drinks without a straw
- Opt for paperless statements for your credit cards, mobile phone or utilities bills
- Order only what you can finish when dining out
- Store your food properly to make it last longer.
- When placing orders for food online, choose the ‘no cutlery’ option
- Repair old items or donate them instead of throwing them away
- Avoid impulse buys
There are several zero waste communities such as the Journey to Zero Waste Singapore and Green Drinks Singapore. Get inspiration from fellow zero waste-ers, ask questions or share your concerns!
Want to take your zero waste passion one step further? Consider volunteering with NEA or the environmental / green groups in Singapore!
How else you can help:
Make 2019 the year you embark on a zero waste journey!